Saturday, February 6, 2016

Day 7

Today's meals:
Breakfast - banana and a little chicken
Lunch - berries, half a Lara bar, more chicken
Dinner - potatoes with ghee and chives, strip steak

Very light on the veggies today. I need to make sure I get plenty of those tomorrow.

Workout of the day:
Circuit with Benny - good fun, very tough. I ran for the first time in awhile, and I was sucking wind pretty hard.

I led a support group called "Getting Fit with Depression." I am a Minion this session, and one of the requirements is a "Give Back" activity. After going through a mild funk in October and November, I thought it appropriate. As many of you may know, there is a ton of evidence demonstrating the benefits of exercise on mental health, and I have plenty of personal experience. Unfortunately, finding motivation to work out is tough when you're feeling normal, let alone when you want to curl up in a ball in the corner of your bedroom. A few years ago, a friend's therapist gave her advice which I try to hold onto - when your depressed brain is telling you to do one thing, do the exact opposite. So when my depressed brain tells me to hole up away from other people, to curl up in bed with the covers over my face and cry, I force myself to get up, put on clothes, and go to a class, with other people. I may even announce on Facebook that I am going, so when I get to class, 20 different people call out "Hi Missy!" It makes me feel a little better, and the exercise makes me feel a lot better. If your brain is telling you to stay in bed, get up and move your body.

Other tips:

  1. Start small. Tell yourself you are taking a 5 minute walk. Chances are, you will be able to go a little longer.
  2. Make it social (if that helps.) Invite a friend, spend the time walking and talking. I have two friends who are sweetly willing to listen to me talk through issues when I am panicking. It helps...
  3. Figure out when your highest energy level is during the day, and plan your exercise for then. I am much more productive in the morning, so mornings work best for me. That, and I really don't have a lot of other time.
  4. Be comfortable - don't dress to impress, dress to work. Dress to be comfortable.


Anyway, those were tips I shared, and hopefully someone will find them helpful. As you all know, I'm pretty vocal about my own mental illness, but I know some people like to keep their own personal business to themselves (what?) So, maybe this will help someone reading this right now. Just move.

Ok. So that was serious. Lighthearted happiness - I also got to spend some time snuggling another baby, and visiting with friends. Then I spent the rest of the day with my daughter, who is a big goofball, and makes me smile. AND, my husband made me dinner, and it was mighty delicious. So, a good day. I shall spend the rest of the evening reading. Are you reading anything good? I'm reading a very enjoyable book, but I have a feeling that (gasp!) I will not finish it by book club Monday night. This is a rarity for me - I pride myself on always reading the book. I will finish it, though, it's rather thrilling.

23 days to go, and tomorrow is meal prep day, so I will have pictures from that. So you have that to look forward to...

No comments: