Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Day 17, and I will be hurtin' tomorrow

I met with the personal trainer at Planet Fitness this afternoon. Almost missed it - truck overturned on 71 south, and 75 was backed up so badly, it took me 1 1/2 hours to get home, but he was nice and met with me anyway. I went in with solid goals, a basic knowledge of what exercises work what, and specific likes and dislikes (I will do pretty much anything with free weights, dumbbells, bands, etc, but I hate the machines.) I told him I will work hard, but without a structured plan, I tend to wander, so tell me what to do and I'll do it. That's why I love classes so much. He told me he loves to work with people like me, and helped me come up with a structured-ish plan (that's what I get with a Planet Fitness trainer.) I don't love the fact that since I said weight loss is a goal, he stuck me with the lighter weights/more reps thing, since I do want to get stronger, but I'm supposed to meet up with him again in 3 weeks so we can revisit the plan. Also, he's a big plan of battleropes, which I love, and he told me to finish every workout with 3 sets of 30 seconds with battleropes. Fun!

Food started out very well, and then I was desperately craving chocolate, which was a little odd. I also happened to stop by Trader Joe's, and in a moment of weakness, I picked up some dark chocolate covered marshmallows. I definitely ate more than a serving of them in the car, but I didn't crave them at all after that, and I will be leaving them at home, as I don't tend to crave chocolate at night, and perhaps my husband will eat them. For dinner, I cooked up a bunch of non-starchy veggies with onion, garlic, soy sauce, and sriracha, and added the chicken I cooked in the crockpot. I made enough for the next three days, it was really good, and totally fit my exchanges, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Today's Tiny Buddha post was about how words matter, which is something a lot of people could learn from for sure, but since we're talking health here, it was interesting how many of the author's tips for how changing your word choice can change your life align with all those programs and courses I was talking about the other day. For instance, "Swapping 'I'll try' for 'I can, and I will.'" Understanding, of course, that Yoda said it first, it definitely makes a difference in my mindset early on when I say "I will go to the gym this afternoon" instead of "I'll try and make it." First, I am prepared - gym bag packed, people at home aware I won't be home. Second, I have made the plans, so I go. Also, saying "I get to" instead of "I have to" - major attitude shift. My body is able to exercise. I am able to afford the medical program and the nasty ass shakes. And finally, and my favorite, "ask better questions." When you are trying to figure out how to change your life, asking the right questions is imperative. I feel this is something I need to figure out as I try to determine what I love to do, and how I want to spend my time as I get older. I've mentioned in the past that "living my passion" has always been complicated for me, as I could not figure out what my passion is. I suppose I need to ask better questions. I think it must be a skill to ask good questions, and it is one I need to develop. The author finished that paragraph by quoting Tony Robbins, who I have never in my life quoted, but this was a good one: "Quality questions create a quality life. Successful people ask better questions, and as a result, they get better answers."

Deep stuff, Tony. Deep stuff.


No comments: