Friday, August 21, 2009

School school school, lalalala

Wednesday was the first day of school, oh most glorious of days. The girl was quite thrilled to be off to 1st grade:













The boy, maybe, not so psyched about starting 7th grade, which is, as you know, the hardest of all grades (he says):







What is sad, and perhaps a little scary, is...although I love school being in session. I adore the routine of it, the joy of learning, the consistency of the days, the smell of school supplies, the peace of not having my two little villains at each other's throats all day...I kind of found myself missing them today. We had such a joyful end of summer...I wanted to pick them up from school and take them to the pool and out for ice cream (I will post a little more about our summer list later this week.)

Then I got over it and enjoyed the peace a little more.

So, what am I thankful for this thankful Thursday?

1. A brand new pencil sharpener that neatly and cleanly sharpened 48 - yes, I said 48 - pencils on Tuesday.

2. The fine physique of Jeffrey Donovan, the star of Burn Notice, which I was able to watch while I ate my sandwich for lunch today - without any whiny kids trying to turn on yet another episode of iCarly.

3. A day with structure - we're up at the same time, eating breakfast at the same time, on the bus at the same time.

4. An intriguing new teacher for the girl. A teacher with a well-organized classroom and lesson plan, and a very cool, violent-sounding name.

5. A whole big chunk of alone time for me. This will not last long - I do have to find a job - but darn, I am enjoying it while it lasts.

No comments: