Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year, New...Year

Hi.
I wrote earlier in December, but didn't post, as it was a little dark, and I was struggling. For no real reason - weather? Holidays? I don't know. Anyway, I ended up not finishing the post, and then I went to see my therapist, which definitely helped. And then the holidays hit, which I can't really complain about, as my holidays tend to be pretty chill, what with my heathen husband, my young adult kids, and most of my family in other states. Nope, no real reason to stress, although I do, because "constant low-grade anxiety" is my middle name. Sexy, right?

So I told my therapist that I quit the St. E program. She gave me homework - workout 3 times a week, meal plan, and blog more. My goal? Not to gain weight. That was it - just not to gain. I ate my fair share of junk, but I didn't want to gain anymore weight. Then I pulled a muscle in the top of my calf (playing with my cat, little demon), and did not work out for a week, but the rest of it was not bad. My scale does not show a gain - hopefully my friend's won't either. Oh, and you'll notice the blogging thing didn't happen.

So I made some new goals, because, honestly, what's more fun for an anxious self-analyzer than drumming up a new plan for self-improvement and telling everyone about it, and then worrying about letting everyone down when I inevitably trip and fall into a bucket of ice cream and forget where the gym is?

Seriously, I am not that self-pitying. (but am I that self-involved? Because I've used hyphenated self-words several times in the last two paragraphs.) I just like making goals. Sooner or later I learn from the various mistakes. For example, I hate those nasty-ass shakes, but I enjoyed my month of green smoothies last year, so those will probably make a reappearance. I do better with fitness when I'm trying to keep a streak going, so I started a 100 day challenge today.
From top to bottom - sweaty selfy, treadmill screen from today's workout, hot zone I cleaned up, Tricky Rick, the ferret.

 I will likely be posting here more just to keep the excitement going. And if any of you locals want to hit me up to come work out, please do, and I will definitely encourage back. Especially classes, I love classes. I'm going to be using my Organize Yourself Skinny e-class I bought a few years ago - the steps are manageable, and I always do better when organized. It's one of the best e-classes I've done, and I've tried a few. Check out the link in the sidebar, if you're in the market.

Something fun to share - I cannot come up with my own recipes. I've mentioned before my failures at smoothie creating - I have to use a recipe, or they come out gross. Last night I decided to try my hand at a lentil soup. I had a recipe to start with, but I had a few containers of Trader Joe's preprepped veggies (mirapoix and the 7 veggie blend) that I wanted to add, so I knew I would need some extra flavor. I started with garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and turmeric, but there was just not enough flavor. A normal person might have just added some more of the flavors she had started with, but I thought, ooh, those chopped hatch green chiles in jar look good - let's add those. crap, that didn't work, more garlic! What is that bitter taste? Got my husband to come in and help (he has a better feel for spices), and he asks what on earth I've added? We added some soy sauce and a little apple cider vinegar. This is the lentil soup of ALL the flavors. It ended up not being terrible, but weird, and then today, after a night in the fridge, it was a little better. It will be my lunch for the next few days. If nothing else, it is pretty freaking healthy.

Moral of the story - if you're coming to dinner, make sure I'm using a recipe, or that my husband is doing the cooking.

No comments: