Thursday, August 6, 2015

Babbling mindlessly about the movies and music of my youth...

Hey there, ho there. I really need to go to bed, but I was just typing a Facebook update, and it was getting really long, and really became a blog post all by itself,so I decided to just come here. 

Today I have traveled back in time. My commute was spent rocking out to the music of my youth. How much did I love the soundtrack to the movie "Singles." Ok, except for the Paul Westerberg songs, which were lame, and the horrid cover of Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore." That movie sparked my love for Alice in Chains, and I could listen to Pearl Jam's "State of Love and Trust" on an everlasting loop.



"Singles" was one of those movies I watched 100 times and never got bored. I wanted, desperately, to be Kyra Sedgwick, but I really identified more with Debbie, the bizarre redhead who babbled incessantly. Or maybe with Campbell Scott's best friend. Yeah, I was definitely Campbell Scott's best friend. Anyway, I loved that movie, but I never did get to Seattle, I never got to see Alice in Chains play live in some smoky dive club in an abandoned warehouse (or anywhere else, for that matter), and I certainly never wanted to find the "perfect combination of Mel Gibson and Holden Caulfield" because, let's face it, they are both big tools.

Know what other movie I loved when I was in college? "Dazed and Confused." Dude, did you see that movie? How many popular actors got their start with that movie? Jason London as Randall "Pink" Floyd taking a stand against "the man" because he doesn't want to sign a form promising not to smoke marijuana - wasn't marijuana illegal in the '70's? Even as an idealistic college student, I found his rant to be juvenile. Anyway, he was just the straight man to all everyone else - Matthew McConoughy's creepy older guy character was classic in that movie. Another excellent soundtrack.

I have lots of good healthy stuff to share, but I need to go to bed if I'm to get up for boot camp. My kids are watching "Return of the Jedi" right now. Can you imagine how bad Jabba's palace must have smelled?

No comments: