Sunday, May 10, 2009

I've always enjoyed Star Trek. I'm not a "Trekkie" - I've never dressed up as a character, attended a convention, and I enjoyed The Next Generation more than the Original Series (blasphemy, I know.) But I watched every episode of TNG, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager, I can name several species, I love Q...you get the picture.

Yesterday we went to see the new Star Trek movie. Most of you know this movie was about Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the crew as young cadets. Great effect, a decent storyline, and I loved the actors - especially Karl Urban as Bones (oh he is yummy) and Zachary Quinto as Spock (I love him anyway - Heroes is my favorite show and he is an excellent bad guy - and he looked, sounded and acted Spock.) The clever bit of the movie is the plot twist that will allow them to make future installments without contradicting the series. I won't go any further, but I do recommend checking out this movie. My kids even enjoyed it. Monkeybutt thought it was great, and the Girl Child was probably a bit young for the more mature plot points, but she loved the action, the aliens, and watching for the "Giant Cheeseball" which makes her day each time she watches the opening credits of the various series (several of the planets look, to her, like giant cheeseballs. A child of vast imagination, my Girl Child.)

Anyway, we really loved the new Star Trek movie. We think you should see it.

Live long and prosper.

No comments: