Sunday, June 29, 2008

More movie reviews.

I've seen a bunch of movies in the past few weeks. Both at the theater and on DVD. Here's what I thought:
Ironman: Really freaking cool. Best superhero movie I've seen. And I've seen a lot. Admittedly, I kept waiting for Robert Downey, Jr. to stop and ingest some form of chemical (sorry RDJ), but he was just a really cool superhero. Honestly - it was fantastic. Go see it.
Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: Eh. It was ok. Great effects and whatnot, and I loved the first movie. This one was a bit lacking. I hated the ending. But Prince Caspian was hhhhot.
Get Smart: Very funny. Now I was not expecting the television show, people, just a funny movie with Steve Carrell. And that's what I got. I enjoyed this one.
Stardust (DVD): Wow! How on earth did I miss this one? Great movie. Great cast. Two thumbs up, friends, and my kids loved it too - both the 11 year old boy and the 5 1/2 year old girl. Go rent it. Or buy it.
Semi Pro (DVD): I giggled in some spots. But I wasn't expecting great film here.
Grandma's Boy (DVD): I had never even heard of this one. My studmuffin stuck it in last night saying his coworker had recommended it. Seeing as his coworker is an engineer from Ohio, I wasn't expecting a good movie. And it wasn't. A good movie, I mean. But it was entertaining. Grandma's Boy was done by Adam Sandler's company, Happy Madison, and the cast consisted of all relative unknowns from all the Adam Sandler films (the main character was his best friend in Wedding Singer). Grandma was played by Ray's mom in Everybody loves Raymond (Doris Roberts?) Anyway, this was a definite guy movie - lots of pot smoking, video games, bodily functions, and sex...or wishing for sex. The guys are video game testers, after all. Yeah, so basic synopsis: main character is 36 year-old pothead video game tester, kicked out of his apartment (by Rob Schneider)for not paying rent (his roommate spent the rent money at a "house of ill repute".) He goes to live with his grandmother and her two female roommates (Shirley Knight and Shirley Jones, you know, the Partridge family mom?) In the meantime, his company hires a lovely female consultant to help release their game on time. The geeky genius guy with a tendancy to talk like a robot (he was actually pretty great - played by Joel David Moore, funny as heck) who actually designs the games tries to woo the lovely consultant chick...My favorite guy is the drug dealer named Dante who befriends a bushman and Chinese martial arts expert. Anyway, the movie is not smart, and kind of gross at times, but it was...enjoyable. I couldn't really turn away, for some reason.
Ok, so that's it for movie reviews this month. I have kids to put to bed.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Thanks for the reviews. Hope you're enjoying the summer!!