Sunday, January 11, 2015

Mmm...lunch.

It is the end of a very busy weekend.  Not really a relaxing weekend, by any stretch of the imagination.  Boot camp yesterday morning, took my mom's Christmas stuff down, made a pot of soup for the week's lunches, did some laundry, went to a support group, spent 5 hours doing softball things, cleaned the kitchen, prepared for meals for the week...this is really the first time I've sat down to chill this weekend.  And I'm going to bed in an hour.  Not cool, weekend, not cool.

That's alright.  I'm feeling all productive and stuff.  And I didn't have to cook dinner at all - my husband made dinner all weekend.  Which is funny, since I still cooked.  

Ooh, speaking of cooking, I prepared dinner for tomorrow night tonight - preparation is a good thing.  And I have to share the link to the recipe here:  http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/05/15/greek-spinach-and-feta-stuffed-chicken-breast/
I made the filling, stuffed and breaded the chicken, then stored and refrigerated to bake tomorrow.  The filling was so good, I wanted to eat it with a spoon.  Okay, I may have eaten a little with a spoon.  


Not the cleanest fridge ever, but here is the soup I made last night for this week's lunches.  It is, without a doubt, the best soup recipe I make, and one of the reasons I look forward to winters.  It is spicy and delightful.  I tweak it a bit - it has more veggies, no chicken, and black beans, which are my favorites.  I don't roast the peppers or the corn, although I know it adds an extra richness to the flavor, because it is easier, and still tastes so good.  It is a Rachael Ray recipe - the woman irritates me, but she has some very good recipes.
The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are hot - very hot.  I use 2 1/2 because I like it wicked spicy, and I love the smoky flavor.  You may want to cut down on the amount.  I do put sour cream on it, but not a ton, and I don't put the chips in.  All of the toppings are optional.
Print Recipe

Why-the-Chicken-Crossed-the-Road Santa Fe-Tastic Tortilla Soup


Course: Soup
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 25 Min
Total Time: 35 Min
Serves: 4

Ingredients

  • Vegetable or corn oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons -- 2 turns of the pot in a slow stream
  • 3 ears corn on the cob or 2 ears fresh-frozen cobs, defrosted
  • 1 red bell pepper split and seeded
  • 1 pound chicken breast tenders
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning 1/3 palm full
  • 1 teaspoon cumin 1/3 palm full
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 small to medium zucchini small dice
  • 1 medium yellow skinned onion chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic chopped
  • 1-2 chipotle in adobo peppers (medium to hot heat level) chopped -- available in small cans in Mexican and Spanish food section of
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes 28 ounces
  • 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
  • 3 cups chicken stock available in re-sealable paper containers on soup aisle
  • 4 cups blue corn tortilla chips broken up into large pieces
  • 1 cup pepper Jack cheese or shredded cheddar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 red raw onion chopped
  • 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley leaves
  • 1 ripe avocado diced and dressed with the juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions

  1. Heat a grill pan to high and a soup pot to medium high. Drizzle oil on corn and place on grill. Add red pepper to grill with corn. Char vegetables 10 minutes, total, turning occasionally. Remove to cool, 5 minutes. Remove charred skin from the pepper.
  2. While vegetables cook, dice chicken. Add 2 tablespoons oil to hot soup pot. Add chicken to pot. Season with poultry seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper. Lightly brown chicken on each side. Add zucchini, onions and garlic and chipotle peppers. Cook vegetables with chicken 5 to 7 minutes to soften. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock. Bring soup to a bubble, reduce heat to medium low.
  3. Scrape corn off cob and add to soup. Chop grilled red pepper and stir into soup. Add chips to soup in handfuls and fold in. Serve soup immediately with scatter of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Top with any or all of the suggested garnishes.
  4. Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Powered by
Plan To Eat
So that's that for today - I am sleepy already, and I have a very early morning tomorrow.  A little reading, a little tea - ooh, reading anything good right now?  I am reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb, which has grown on me, as his books tend to do.  I have a bunch of books to read for my next few book clubs, and Into the Wild is next.  That's been on my list for awhile.  
Alrighty, g'nite.

No comments: