Thursday, January 23, 2014

Out with the old suckiness...

I am not sad to be saying good-bye to 2013.

This year was a whole big bag of suck - not in a catastrophic, horrible way - just in a dragging, foggy, kind of depressed way. Just looking back at the last year's posts, I've written a lot less than usual, mainly because I just couldn't be bothered to leave my funk, and what I wrote was pretty whiny. I'm not loving the 2013 Missy.

Don't get me wrong - not all of 2013 sucked. Highlights included:
1. A successful Relay For Life - we increased our event from $92,000 to $117,000. We worked hard and it paid off.
2. Lots of time playing with twin nieces - they always make me smile.
3. The Girl's first 5K. So proud.
4. My 20 year high school reunion. I did not expect it to be so fun, and it was excellent reconnecting with people I really have come to like again.
5. Starting back to work full time. I do like my job, a lot.

But in between the highlights? That weird fogginess - a low grade depression that just would not lift. A lot of projects left undone. A schedule I could not get under control. A brain I could not get under control.

I have always enjoyed making resolutions. A lot of authorities say this is an unhealthy way to start the year - setting goals and not meeting them is too hard on the self-esteem. I feel, however, that if I don't get some things under control, I am going to only sink deeper into this quicksand-like mindset, and it will only become harder to function. I am going make my resolutions specific, public, and break them into small and manageable steps. If you get bored with my lists, especially with lists that resemble lists I've made before, you may want to stop now. But I need help this year if I'm going to stick to this, and I am coming to all of you, my brilliant friends (of course you are all brilliant! You are reading here!;) So if you are up to a little ass-kicking, I am ready to have my ass kicked.

Resolutions for 2014
These are broken into categories, and I am starting with the most important one.

Health. Always Health.
I realize that I need to live a more healthful life - not only because heart disease runs in my family and I want to be a good role model - but also because when I am practicing healthy habits, such as daily exercise, enough sleep, not eating way too much - my mental health is much clearer and happier. I will achieve this goal by taking teeny tiny baby steps every few weeks. I will begin the year with the three basic steps as outlined in my favorite and most helpful website, Sparkpeople.com.
1. Exercise at least 10 minutes a day (this is the most helpful habit I have found, mental health-wise.)
2. Drink at least 64 oz water, each day.
3. Sleep 7-8 hours a day. I will post my movement on Facebook each day again. I will depend, again, on the responses of my friends.
Yes, you all have seen this before, I know this. It's gotta stick sometime, right? Why not this year? Weight loss is definitely a goal - I am sick of being obese and unhealthy, but mostly, I just want to feel better. I need more energy. And as the lovely Gretchen Rubin writes in her book The Happiness Project, you can't be truly happy if you don't have any energy (definitely paraphrasing, here.) I'll update you all each time I add a new habit. It is more productive to add healthy habits than to remove unhealthy ones. Seriously, I read a lot. If just reading about health made me healthy, I would be the healthiest woman alive.

Money Money Money
Another oldie but goodie. I have a kid going to college in 1 1/2 years, and another who plays ALL THE SPORTS. All the sports are expensive. I have always been rather disorganized when it comes to spending, and that is my downfall. I do not go out and buy expensive clothes, but I buy a lot of things, including way too many gifts, and it all adds up. Plus I've been eating out for lunch way too much lately. I feel confident that we will be able to pay down the credit card debt a lot faster if I just organize myself better, mainly because I will be more congnizant of where the money is going. Here are the steps I plan to start with:

1. Start tracking the spending again. I used to use Money to do this, but, well, I don't anymore. There are a few online programs that apparently work well, or I'll just set up a spreadsheet. I plan to have a system in place by the end of January.
2. I will allow myself lunch out once a week, only.
3. Go back to the weekly menu plan. This works very well.

I would like to work on managing my schedule better, as well, but I feel I need to work on the energy issues first. So I will continue to tweak these resolutions as the year progresses. As I've been writing this, I realized there was another highlight of 2013 I did not mention, and this is something that has happened time and time again. I have realized this year how lucky I am in my friends. Whether they are people I live near or long-distance Facebook friends, someone has always stepped in to let me know I wasn't alone, and they had my back. Many times it was many people. I really know some amazing people. And now I am asking these amazing people to back me up once again - help me maintain these resolutions. I promise to return the favor if ever any of you need it.

Hi - this is me again, several hours later. I've been trying to add pictures and make this post look nice, and Blogger is being all stupid. So, rather than risk losing this train of thought, I'm going to publish as is. Kisses, and Happy New Year! Here's to a 2014 that doesn't suck!

No comments: