Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Missy...In...Space!

One unproductive and seriously uncomfortable way to prove you desperately need to change your eating habits? Skip your antidepressants one night (accidentally), and spend the next day fuzzy and eating all the junk food you can get your hands on. Including, for crap's sake, McDonalds. Lots of McDonalds. I haven't eaten McDonalds in months and months. Almost a year. And it was awful. And then I got home and spent the rest of tonight feeling really sick. I still feel really sick.

On a positive note, I went on vacation last week! I spent a week in Florida with my girl, and some of my favorite people.

I love the ocean. and the Space Center. Ooh, and we spent New Year's Eve and Day at "Nana's Condo" (my niece's name for it), overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. It was lovely. 

The worst day ever? The day you go back to work after being on vacation for a week.

Fun way to embarrass your daughter and your best friend? Respond with an excited giggle and a loud "me" when the bus driver at the Cape Kennedy Space Center asks who has been there before. Nothing brings out the nerd more readily than the opportunity to walk under Atlantis. 
Trips to the moon were cool, don't get me wrong, but I grew up during the Shuttle years, and that is what gets me excited. I was going to be Lea Thompson, go to the Air Force Academy, and be an astronaut (I wasn't all "I want to be the first female shuttle commander," I didn't care, as long as I got to go.) This, obviously, did not happen - I found boys much more interesting than physics, and math never came easily to me - but I still got all misty-eyed the first time I saw the VAB this visit. And every subsequent time. (I also get misty-eyed every time I see a dolphin show; just a little tidbit you didn't know about me, just in case you want to make me cry for some reason.) I did find out, however, that most astronauts have been over 35, so I still have a chance!

Anyway - something I added to the list of things I have to do - I would say before I die, but I would really like this to be sooner rather than later - I want to see a launch. A real launch, preferably a manned launch, and I want to be there on purpose, actually on the property. Which means I am going to need to form a relationship with someone who has ties to NASA or whatever space organization running the launch. Seeing as I am married to an engineer, this should not, in theory, be an issue. Speaking of said engineer, when we were in the Orlando area for our honeymoon, we inadvertently witnessed the launch of the Mars Global Surveyor from Cape Canaveral on 11/7/1996 whilst driving to Cocoa Beach. That was terribly cool, but I need to be there, amidst the excitement. I want to actually feel the rumbling of the earth as engines ignite. 

Anyway, so it was a great trip, and I am back home, back at work, back to boot camp, and planning to do a Whole 30 session starting February 1. We'll see how it helps my sugar issues, my eczema, my allergies. People at boot camp keep talking about how good they feel, so I am interested to see how it goes. I am not much of a cook, so I am a little nervous about prep bit, but I just need to suck it up - I think I proved to myself that McDonalds is not going to make me feel better.

Gotta go, have a good night.

No comments: