Tuesday, September 3, 2019

A lovely weekend away, and I'm getting back on track

My youngest kid is going to be 17 soon, and my husband and I last took a vacation away, by ourselves, 8 months before she was born. We went to Steamboat Springs, CO, in February, where I learned, among other things, that mountains, beautiful as they are, apparently trigger a claustrophobic reaction as a symptom of my "morning sickness" all day long. I spent many hours feeling alternately nauseous and panicky, as I admired the beauty, and enjoyed the company of a couple I did not know well at all (he worked with the guy) and their dog, who I adored. I should mention, I did not know I was pregnant at the time, so this all took me a bit by surprise.

Anyway, my guy decided it was time for another trip, and he booked us a long weekend at an inn in Nashville, IN. I was underwhelmed when he first told me - no offense, Indianonians, but your state is not a favorite of mine. Let's face it, it's called the "crossroads of America" for a reason - you're not actually supposed to stop there. At least not longer than it takes to pee and get gas. And the vice president gives me the willies. But apparently this place was nice, so off we went on Friday for a few days of hiking, romance, and apparently, quirky shopping.

It was lovely. Absolutely delightful. The shopping was ok - a lot of hunting for treasures among touristy-trap shops, but the food was delicious, the nature was natural, and the inn was...quiet. So blessedly quiet. Remember, we spend most of our summer weekends staying in hotels with hundreds of other sports families, whose kids run around until 2am while their parents drink heavily (not judging, parents, but your kids make me crazy.) That did not happen here - it was only for 21 and up, and apparently not many people were there. There was even a hot tub, IN THE ROOM! It was not skanky, so get your minds out of the gutter. I will say, I think we have discovered we are not really "hot tub people", since we'd be in 5 minutes before I was climbing out complaining that I was too hot, but it was a novelty. Here, see some pictures!

Canopy at Yellowwood State Forest
Little orange flower. 

Bigger, purpler flowers - I think at Brown County State Park

AWW - the little tree is snuggling the big tree!

A little turtle

Our relationship, in one picture - Mr. Cranky Paws and his delightful wife.
Dieting did not happen. No, I didn't even pretend to keep to any program. We hiked a lot, but the food was good, and we ate plenty of it. My husband got to eat breaded tenderloin at 3 different places! I, of course, abhor the stuff, but there was plenty of deliciousness for everyone.

So, back on track today. Drank my nasty ass shake mixed with coffee for breakfast, my tortilla soup for lunch, and I did have pizza for dinner, but I kept the portion small. Healthy snacks, and I went to the gym and worked out. Tomorrow will be much the same, with chicken stir fry for dinner, and likely a walk for the workout. I'm still having trouble getting up early; it's something I'm going to have to work on, but having a teenage daughter makes it tough to get to sleep early enough.

Anyway, have a good night, and we'll chat tomorrow.



No comments: